First things first, a bit of an orientation.
What are websites links a.k.a backlinks?
Websites links are like bridges in our webpage to another website, effectively connecting them. This is how those blue “clickable” words—hyperlinks—that we see when viewing a website redirects us to another website. Basically, hyperlinks are the doors, website links are the bridges.
Website links represent credibility and confidence in one’s site. They are like client testimonials in the cyber universe. In essence, backlinks are votes of confidence to your content from other website pages. The more websites linked to one’s own site, the higher the chances it pops up in searches.
When a highly credible website that caters to your niche audience uses one of your blogs as a reference in their articles, that generally gives your business plus points in the eyes of the big search engines. This raises your credibility, and the more sites linking to you, the higher it goes. Consequently, this will move Google to your favour, increasing your popularity.
Backlinks and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search engines put a heavier emphasis on backlinks because they aren’t self-promoting efforts. This explains why experts say that 30% of on-page (your website) factors and 70% off-page (backlinks) factor makes a good SEO strategy.
Google’s search engine uses the expert, authoritative, and trustworthy (E.A.T) concept when studying the credibility and quality of a website’s content. If a website does not live up to the E.A.T requirements, then a site will fall lower in the rankings of their search results lists. Most Internet users barely go through all that’s on the first page of google search results which is why your business has to find a strategy to get on page one.
How to Create Backlinks
- Start by making quality content. Aim to answer niche questions with your blogs. Be mindful about your use of terminologies and plan for how a general audience would type in a question. Keep your answers concise and easy to understand. Use images and videos whenever possible.
- Create unique content, meaning, avoid plagiarized work. Search engines will know if your page is a copy of an original and this will be a demerit to your site’s credibility.
- Collaborate with other content creators. Explore and exchange deal where you link to their site and vice versa. Tap your network of fellow practitioners and schedule an occasional backlink to each other’s content to be consistent.
- Engage in forums and message boards. Look for forum sites like Quora or Yahoo Answers. Spot questions you can answer with links to your existing blogs. However, be careful not to be excessively self-promoting. You can be marked as a spammer if done incorrectly.
- Check your site analytics to see who is backlinking to you. Do your research about sites that are linking to you because not all backlinks are good. Disavow backlinks from sites that go against your business principles or your practice. You can do this by logging in to your Google Webmaster account and make the request to disavow. Here’s a guide to help you.
Integrate a backlinking plan to your marketing strategy this 2020. Bookmark our blog page or subscribe to our newsletter to get business development tips for practitioners and solo entrepreneurs.